A few weeks ago at The Academy we took all of our students over two days to visit Cambridge University. The day was a great day out. The leaves were golden, their blazers crimson. It was Educating Rita, Chariots of Fire and Skins all rolled into one. There was a talk, a tour, a free lunch and a tour of the city dodging bikes and well spoken students. As a result in many of our students minds now, Cambridge equals university.
Research (of my own anecdotal variety) suggests most middle class graduates cannot remember making a conscious choice about going to university - it was just what was expected of them. Going to university was what their parents did and so they would do the same. It makes sense then that the earlier university is talked about, the more likely young people are to think university into their future.
Last year I visited several schools in the US which placed huge importance on aiming for college. Strategies including pinning up pictures of former students in their graduation garb to naming classrooms after their teacher's college. These schools were all about, as one banner put it: destination college.
There are many ways that this principle of aspiration has and can be applied in British schools. This should begin much earlier than many of the current government sponsored access programmes currently do. It is however key, that when talking about university we do not alienate our communities. One parent raised a concern with me at the gate. 'My daughter wants to be a hair dresser and she was told she could do better'. Tricky. On the one hand, good to raise aspirations. As yet you don't need a degree to do hair dressing. However the mother explained that the daughter wants to set up her own business. Sounded perfect - and something that would still fit in well with a degree qualification in something business related.
There is perhaps another reason why I am passionate that the model of academic success should be broad. I did not get into Oxford university - I remember the whole experience as if were yesterday. I'd chosen the so called 'Interview' because I thought 'I'm good at talking and they'll probably only ask me about my hobbies'. Nothing could have been further from the truth. I attended two interviews, one on British and one on European history. My chosen topic was the Welsh industrial revolution. That would be something I'd know a lot about and the Oxford don might not. What on earth was I thinking?
'So how important was the Welsh agricultural revolution in starting the Welsh industrial revolution Mari?'
'Oh, not so important' My accent was a lot Welsher back in 1994.
'So what was important?'
'Well, it was inventions and things'
'All right then; so who funded these inventions?'
'Well, that was the people with money - mainly the upper classes'
'Right. And where did they get their money?'
'Ah yes..mainly the land'
And in four easy steps he had made me disprove my own argument. I won't even go into my comments in the European history interview when I repeated verbatim some anti German sentiment I'd heard from my History teacher.
The long, flicky-haired undergraduates who took our Year 7s on tours of Cambridge pointed out the sports grounds, the library, the refectory and the digs. Our eleven year olds naturally asked questions about food, accommodation and friends. What is really important that they realise that getting into the best universities is ultimately about getting the best grades. Statistics published this August revealed that 31% of privately educated pupils achieved three A grades last year, compared with 26% of selective grammar school pupils and only 7.7% of those in comprehensives. Grades and learning will be what ultimately what decides whether they make it to Cambridge or any other university.
The visit to Cambridge was fantastic to inspire students. It has helped them to understand what they can aim for and why every lesson counts. I believe young people should be encouraged to aim for university because of the benefits they will enjoy as a result. There is just one small caveat. The picture we paint of university and university life should encompass all kinds of institutions and not focus just on a twentieth century narrow definition. Though the magic of those autumnal quads, punts and Harry Potter gargoyles could not be doubted.
Monday, 16 November 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment